Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Butcher Family Shrimp and Rice Salad

Shrimp and Rice Salad
Gamer rating: tabletop, larping, or even console. Not recommended for PC though.
Prep-time: About 20 minutes, including the time spent cooking the rice.

Ok folks, I'm gonna let you in to a family recipe I got from my Auntie Joan. This is summer cold buffet food, and something I see and demolish at every family gathering, but have never seen outside of them. Absolutely delicious, and even little kids go nuts for it! It keeps very well, and is a perfect make-ahead dish.
  • 2 cups Minute Rice (you could use regular rice but then it takes longer)
  • 4 cups tomato juice
  • 1 cup frozen peas
  • 1/2 cup chopped celery
  • 1/2 cup sliced green onions
  • 1/2 cup chopped dill pickle
  • 2 can cocktail size shrimp (I can't find canned shrimp, so I use 1 small bag)
  • "a little" mayonnaise
  1. Make 2 cups Minute rice using tomato juice instead of water. Add the frozen peas just as the rice is finished cooking, and let the rice and peas cool.
  2. Once the rice mixture is cool, add all remaining ingredients except the mayonnaise. Stir until well mixed.
  3. Add a little mayonnaise to moisten just before serving. Watch in amazement as it disappears.

This recipe is diabetic-friendly. Requires a stove, a pot and a mixing bowl.

Credit to my Auntie Joan via Forresst!

No comments: